Minnesota Visa Attorney

Visa Process in Minnesota

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States (U.S.) generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the U.S. without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel.

Obtaining a visa to travel to Minnesota can be complex for those who are unfamiliar with the process. A Minnesota immigration attorney can help you through the process, explain the challenges, and work with you to legally overcome those challenges.

A Minnesota visa attorney can help you with all aspects of immigration law for individuals and corporations in Minnesota. These aspects include H-1B visas, L Visas, E Visas, PERM applications, labor certification, employment-based visa petitions, family-based visa petitions, and individuals who wish to become US citizens. Our law firm also represents a vast number of Foreign Medical Graduates with respect to J-1 Visa Waivers, National Interest Waivers, permanent residency, and other petitions.

A Minnesota visa attorney can help answer your questions, help you pick the right visa, and assist you throughout the visa process. Contact us to speak with a Minnesota visa attorney.

Visa Types: Immigrant and Non-Immigrant

A Minnesota visa attorney can help you identify the type of visa that is needed and help you through the process. In general, there are two types of visa:

  • Non-Immigrant Visas
  • Immigrant Visas

These two types of visa are discussed in more detail below.

Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas generally consist of the following:

  • Immediate Relative and Family Sponsored
    • Family Immigration
    • Marriage to a Foreign National
      • Spouse or Fiance(e) of U.S. Citizen
      • Spouse of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) in U.S.
    • Adopting a Child
  • Employer Sponsored
    • Employment Visas
  • Special Immigrants
    • Employment: Iraqi or Afghan Translators/Interpreters
    • Employment: Iraqis – Worked for/on behalf of U.S. Government
    • Employment: Afghans – Worked for/on behalf of the U.S. Government
    • Employment: Religious Workers

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas generally consist of the following:

Purpose of Travel to U.S. and Non-Immigrant Visas Visa Type Required: Before Applying for Visa*
Athletes, amateur & professional (compete for prize money only) B-1 (NA)
Au pairs (exchange visitor) J SEVIS
Australian professional specialty E-3 DOL
Border Crossing Card: Mexico BCC (NA)
Business visitors B-1 (NA)
Crewmembers D (NA)
Diplomats and foreign government officials A (NA)
Domestic employees or nanny -must be accompanying a foreign national employer B-1 (NA)
Employees of a designated international organization, and NATO G1-G5, NATO (NA)
Exchange visitors J SEVIS
Foreign military personnel stationed in the U.S. A-2
Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics O USCIS
Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professionals: Chile, Singapore H-1B1 DOL
International cultural exchange visitors Q USCIS
Intra-company transferees L USCIS
Medical treatment, visitors for B-2 (NA)
Media, journalists I (NA)
NAFTA professional workers: Mexico, Canada TN/TD (NA)
Nurses coming to health professional shortage areas H1-C USCIS
Performing athletes, artists, entertainers P USCIS
Physician J , H-1B SEVIS
Professor, scholar, teacher (exchange visitor) J SEVIS
Religious workers R (USCIS)
Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge H-1B DOL then USCIS
Students: academic, vocational F, M SEVIS
Temporary agricultural workers H-2A DOL then USCIS
Temporary workers performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature. H-2B DOL then USCIS
Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitors B2 (NA)
Training in a program not primarily for employment H-3 USCIS
Treaty traders/treaty investors E (NA)
Transiting the United States C (NA)
Visa Renewals – Available in the U.S. (NA)

*What the abbreviations (above) mean:
Before applying for a visa at a U.S. Embassy abroad the following is required:

  • DOL = The U.S. employer must obtain foreign labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor, prior to filing a petition with USCIS.
  • USCIS = DHS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve a petition, filed by the U.S. employer (or U.S. citizen, for fiancé petitions)
  • SEVIS = Program approval entered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
  • (NA) = Not Applicable – Means that additional approval by other government agencies is not required prior to applying for a visa at the U.S. Embassy abroad.

Visas Services

Work Visa

A work visa is a way for immigrants to be temporarily granted access to the United States for the purposes of employment. Every year over 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas are given out to applicants.

Student Visas

In order to non-citizens to study in the U.S., they need to obtain a student visa. A student visa allows a foreign student to attend a qualified institution in the United States but does not permit them to immigrant to the U.S. permanently.

Contact an attorney in this area