Contact an attorney in this area
JUX Law Firm
901 Marquette Ave. Suite 1675
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Employers should be aware of certain laws and regulations regarding the hiring and employment of minors in Minnesota. If you are a business that employs minors an experienced Minnesota employment attorney can help advise you on your legal rights and options.
Unemployment Insurance Benefits for Minors in Minnesota
Like adults, a minor may be covered by unemployment insurance if the minor satisfies the statutory requirements regarding eligibility. Minn. Stat. § 268.035, subd. 12. However, minors in the following employment areas are not eligible for unemployment compensation:
- agricultural labor performed by a child under 16 for an employer not covered by federal unemployment tax law;
- service performed by a child under 18 in the employ of a parent;
- work performed by a student for an academic or vocational program;
- work performed at a school or university by a student enrolled there;
- work performed for academic credit; and
- newspaper delivery by anyone under 18.
Minn. Stat. § 268.035, subds. 11 (6), 20 (18), (20), (21), (22), (31)