What does the child support include?
- A monetary amount for the care, support, and education of the child, commonly referred to as “child support” or “basic support”
- Medical support
- Work- or education-related child care costs of the obligee, commonly referred to as “child care support”
- Support arrears or reimbursement of public assistance payments already made on behalf of the child
Minn. Stat. §§ 518A.26, subds. 3 and 21; 518A.34. The next several posts will cover:
- What is medical support in Minnesota?
- How are child care costs handled in Minnesota?
- How is the basic child support amount calculated in Minnesota?
- Special Circumstances Surrounding Child Care
- Can the child support amount change in Minnesota?
This material and the material in the following posts has been copied from Minnesota’s Child Support Laws, An Overview, drafted by the Minnesota House of Representatives Research Department’s legislative analyst, Lrnn Aves.